Recycling Found Furniture


This is a dresser that found its way to my shop. It was in such disrepair but I could still see the potential in this dresser. I started by sanding and removing the brown paint and discovered the top was in good condition but the body of the dresser I had to paint. I removed the hardware and replaced the knobs with new stained shaker style knobs. The feet were structurally sound so I opted to paint them the same as the body and drawers of the dresser. The top stained a honey brown color (my mixture) and the rest painted blueberry blue with alkyd paint. The total of three times with a light sanding between each time gave this dresser a durable base finish.

I was ready to add some decorative finishes. I used acrylic paints to create the garland design on the drawers and after the paint dried I add line work to detail my design. Once satisfied with the look I have achieved I add two coats of varnish again lightly sanding between each time. When the piece is completely dry and that will vary due to humidity in the air, I then finish with beeswax.
The finished piece is quite different from when it first came to the shop. It was on its way to clutter another landfill. Now this little dresser was unique in design and would last for many years if not generations.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s